Wednesday 4 July 2012

Top Tips for Solo Travel...

MikeW going solo in Vilnius, Lithuania

Solo travel can be daunting.  I read comments on forums laced with panic from people who are about to venture on trips to South East Asia and South America all on their lonesome.  I was like that...and, to some extent can feel like that now when I travel solo (see my previous post 'Butterflies...').  I want to calm nerves, the soothing balm on your upcoming travel adventure; whether that be a week touring Eastern Europe or a year round the world.  To help me out, I canvassed the opinion of the very knowledgeable travellers who use the excellent Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Forum on this issue and along with some of my own experiences of solo travel, I have pulled together five hints and tips to make your solo trip not only an enjoyable one, but a very memorable one too.


1. Throw Yourself Into the Mix!
One of the scariest elements of solo travel is just that, you are solo, on your own in a place where not a single soul knows who you are.  The arrival into the hostel can be a scary thing...you are faced with a group of strangers, who have probably already bonded over the local speciality window cleaner flavoured liquor and who tell tales of wonderful things they have seen that day.  See this as an opportunity.  Be proactive and get stuck in!  Thrust your hand out, say 'Hello!  I'm [insert your name here]!' and take it from there.  I have ALWAYS had positive experiences from doing this while travelling.  Besides, the solo traveller has an advantage thanks to the fact that you are more approachable than a pair or group of travellers; most of whom will comment on how brave you are at venturing off alone.


2. Oh, So Lonely!
First, the bad news...there are going to be lonely moments when you travel.  There is no escaping it, I am afraid.  You are going to be looking out over a beach in Thailand and your thoughts will suddenly turn to home, family, friends, your pet rabbit Fluffykins and wish you were back on home soil or that all your loved ones were with you, sharing your Pad Thai.  You should be congratulated for having taken the big leap to travel alone, but to avoid bouts of loneliness you are going to need to muster up some more courage and more of that proactivity I mentioned above.  To make it easier, I highly recommend you follow the established backpacker routes for your first trip.  My first solo trip (detailed in my post 'My First Time') took in the well-trodden backpacker trails of the Australian East Coast (from Sydney to Cairns) and both the North and South Islands of New Zealand.  I met so many people, it verged on the ridiculous!  Some of the people I met on this trip have become firm friends...and provided me with great weekends away in sunny foreign climes such as Ireland and the Netherlands after I returned from my travels!  Look at your loneliness as an advantage - a moment of solitude, peace and harmony in what will be a trip where your interaction with people will almost certainly come and go as you progress through your journey.  Savour the times you have with the new friends and acquaintances you meet on the road, but also savour those times you get to reflect on the great time you are having travelling.


"You're on top tonight, Ingrid?!" (Photo - TravelPod.com)

3. Hitting the Sack...
Choose your bed for the night carefully, solo traveller!  I agree with the views of the Thorn Tree folk on this aspect of solo travel, stay in hostels.  They offer the easiest way to meet people and allow you to tailor your travel to your backpacker needs and budget.  If you are a party animal, definitely book yourself into one of the many party hostels out there.  If there is a lairy, drunken, lobster tan Brit in the picture on the hostel's website or Hostelworld/Hostelbooker's page, it is a party hostel.  If they recycle the rainwater for showers, knit the yoghurt and offer muesli (aka 'sawdust') for breakfast, you are booking yourself into a more laidback kind of place, that for someone of my age and liver capacity will, I think, provide the solo traveller with a good place to stay and the chance to meet other like-minded folk; unless, of course, your kind of like-minded folk are necking back eleven vodka Red Bulls with a Jagermeister chaser in their luridly painted hostel in quick succession!  One other thing...I loved this (very accurate) tip from one poster on the Thorn Tree, "be nice to everyone you meet in hostels as there is a good chance you will bump into them later on."  You will be surprised how many people you meet and then see again...and again...and again as you venture on your journey.


4. Embrace the Weird!
Another cast iron guarantee...you are going to meet some seriously 'interesting' people on your travels.  Do not be afraid...most do not bite and offer you a whole host of fantastic stories for your new hostel friends and at your welcome home parties back in your motherland!  Just make sure you have an exit strategy if it looks to be getting dangerous or emotionally trying.  For the latter, I can recommend, "I need the toilet!" - a place you can hide and update your Twitter and Facebook statuses with your scary/weird experience and make your friends back home howl at your travel capers.  My Aussie weirdo experiences are to be detailed in a future post...watch this space!


5. Enjoy the Flexibility...
You are a solo traveller.  This is a brilliant thing.  If you choose to, you do not have to discuss your itinerary for the day with anyone.  You can do whatever you please (with reason) and go wherever you want (within reason).  That fork in the road...it is up to you!  That ice cream or piece of cake...it is up to you...why not have both; after all you are Master/Mistress of your own travelling destiny!  Enjoy this positive aspect of your trip!


Overall, rather than see travelling solo as a negative, I always tend to view it in a more positive slant.  I figure, that I am here, albeit alone...but I am going to make the most of it.  Of course, it would be great to be here with a loved one or friends, but most of all it is important you have a fulfilling travel experience without feeling wracked by loneliness or the feeling that you cannot enjoy what the world lays before you without having someone to share it with.


I'll leave you with one final tip a colleague gave me when I left a job a few years back.  It might help you in a hostel situation - "don't sweat the petty things and certainly don't pet the sweaty things!"


Safe travels and Enjoy!

27 comments:

  1. Hi guys,
    Thank you so much for this wonderful article really!
    If someone want to know more about solo travel I think this is the right place for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to thank you for this great read. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m going to read this. I’ll be sure to come back. thanks for sharing. and also This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. this is very nice one and gives indepth information. thanks for this nice article. Visit Website

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a very informative and useful post thanks it is good material to read this post increases my knowledge. Travel Hints and Tips

    ReplyDelete
  5. When people think of traveling, they often think of far-away countries. And they are indeed amazing! There is so much to see in the world Best Travel deals in US Europe Asia

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have sell some products of different custom boxes.it is very useful and very low price please visits this site thanks and please share this post with your friends. Angkor wat tours

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing helpful tips regarding solo travel, love to explore more like this one.
    Luton airport cheap parking
    short stay parking heathrow

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was possible because of each suite's private terrace. Therefore, we had privacy in order to enjoy our honeymoon without any other people near us. best Santorini Transfer Services

    ReplyDelete
  9. You completely match our expectation and the variety of our information. best places in India

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. india visa for swedish citizens

    ReplyDelete
  11. Admiring the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you offer!.. india visa reference name in home country

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice knowledge gaining article. This post is really the best on this valuable topic. indian visa application process

    ReplyDelete
  13. The first change to note is that the 1-year tourist visa is no longer available. Applicants have to choose between a 5-year multiple-entry visa and a 10-year multiple-entry visa 印度签证

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sound recognizable? Well this is the scene that has happened in bars, bars, and night clubs for quite a long time. Bar goers are continually attempting to get the most value . glass bottle manufacturers

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our days are probably the last chance to buy properties in Budapest, even if you don't have a large sum, and to enjoy from a great return on investment. Budapest long term rentals

    ReplyDelete
  16. 'All care and no responsibility' is the modus operandi of the solo ad industry. All they do is guarantee that they will deliver the number of clicks you ordered from them, so let's be clear on that.

    contact now

    ReplyDelete
  17. Assume paid for with the help of center, have discovered modern society; believed that protect on your playlists, you could potentially know most of the hassle; assumed ones step quit, much more is unable to drive; Imagine I would like adore, merely the caress. travel single parents with children

    ReplyDelete
  18. I recently came across your article and have been reading along. I want to express my admiration of your writing skill and ability to make readers read from the beginning to the end. I would like to read newer posts and to share my thoughts with you. india visa application

    ReplyDelete
  19. Therefore dissertation web-sites as a result of online to set-up safe and sound ostensibly taped in the website. Travel blogger

    ReplyDelete
  20. You will find dissertation online sites via internet settle purchase not surprisingly well-known while in the web pages. Travel blogger

    ReplyDelete
  21. Why do only so much written on this subject? Here you see more. top rated toilets

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work! indian visa

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ro-Ro - Ro-Ro stands for roll-on/roll-off, named for the luxury by which vehicles can just roll on, and then roll off. These kinds of ferries are large and conventional. fethiye rodos feribot

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for your post, I look for such article along time, today i find it finally. this post give me lots of advise it is very useful for me. legally cancel a timeshare

    ReplyDelete
  26. Do you wish you could write more? Use these five tips, and I promise that you'll at least double your writing productivity. In addition, your writing will be clear, concise and will flow effortlessly from your mind to your fingertips. https://neva24.ru/socium/3584-problemy-vybora-pervoy-raboty.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. i found a great method to get Free Robux Tool

    how to get free robux

    ReplyDelete